1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.
  3. You are currently browsing an area which has guest posting enabled. Please be aware that any contributions as a guest will be moderated before public display.

Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Gaming & Simulations' started by kevinator, Aug 16, 2007.

1. kevinator

kevinator Well-Known Member

just got the money for a Xbox 360...found a deal at Costco
    Xbox 360 Pro
    extra controller
    Plug and Play charger
    something for xbox live
    $399

What are some good games beside Halo 3 coming out

2. TGD_02

TGD_02 Well-Known Member

399?
    o..
    the white one
    im bying the elite one wooo

3. kevinator

the Elite only has a bigger HD. YOu only need one that big if your gonna use it for Movies/Music/Games alot.

4. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

The elite also has integrated HDMI, which is assloads better then comp or vga. Alas, I also like the black one ::) but the fucker didnt come out until just recently and I bought mine at launch :ticked:

5. kevinator

whoa I rented F.E.A.R tonight untill I get some money for games for my 360. Scary game at night. Lil girl freaks me out bad haha. Probly have a bad dream lol. But good game and crazy gun fights. Next to rent is Dirt.

6. SurfSarge

SurfSarge misfit

LoL..Hey Kev I finally sold my board! ::)

7. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

DiRt is totally worth it. F.E.A.R was ok, but I thought the controls were flimsy.

8. kevinator

Ive noticed my huge ass power brick tends to get a lil hot after a hour(i was bored last night) of game play. Isnt this what causes the 3 red lights of death?

Also just preorded SKATE and Call of Duty 4....both look kickass

9. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

The "power brick" is you power supply with a built in surge protector. As far as the Red Ring of Death goes, here is the cause

[​IMG]

The problem is that the cooling design of the 360 doesn’t hold up. The cooling of the CPU was well done, with a heat pipe to draw the heat away from the chip (and accordingly, away from the mainboard). The problem is that the GPU and its low-profile heatsink sit under the DVD drive, and are given a very narrow channel for air to be pulled acrosss the heatsink by the fans. When the GPU heats up enough, not only does it reflow the solder in the ball grid array slightly, it can cause the entire mainboard to flex - a phenomenon largely caused by the X-shaped brackets that hold the heatsinks on under the mainboard. They hold the heatsinks down to the chips with a tension fit that presses up directly underneath those chips.

And thus, the useless Xbox occurs.

Don't worry about the PSU heating up. You said you got a Premium (Pro) console? Check the back of it. Is it manufactured in or after April 2007? If so, there is another heatsink in there and better cooling fans. Not that will guarantee no ring of death will occur, it's still more reliable. If it was manufactured before April 07, then you got the same slowly melting hunk of plastic I do.

3 year warranty on RROD failures, tho, So when/if yours bricks, it'll be covered. Mine has twice now.

10. kevinator

yeah I got the Pro but mine says it made on 9-14-2006 :-\

11. crazyjoe

crazyjoe Lurker

going to get a 360 this weekend

thanks for the heads up on the "ring of death"

12. Heero Valentine

Heero Valentine Failed Abortion

i'm going to kill my xbox 360 soon -_-

i put in a perfect just bought clean disk, 30 min's later "1: clean your disk with a cloth" "2:and restart the system"

:mad: fucking pisses me off

-edit- get assassins creed too -edit-

13. crazyjoe

crazyjoe Lurker

fucking hell..I have to go out and buy a "Xbox RF Adapter" because my TV is old. :mad:

14. kevinator

no problems with my 360 so far (knock on wood)

SKATE and Medal of Honor Allied Assualt Airborne are some good demos to dl. Rented GoW and Dead Rising..fun games but in DR i just like killing the zombies with my teddy bear ;D

15. crazyjoe

crazyjoe Lurker

false alarm

I had to connect my 360 to my VCR/DVD combo because of the color coded connection things.

I toyed around with it for a while and found out that I had to press the VCR side and change the channel on the VCR/DVD combo. Needless to say I was quite happy that I didn't have to shell out another $10 :D

16. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

It is really worth considering shelling out a few bucks for a HD ready TV. I found a world of difference. I had a two year old Sony WEGA 32" flat screen, but still a tuber, and it rocked. Then I spent the coin and bought a 60" Sony LCD and was blown away. Sharp image, no shadowing and beautiful image. I will never go back to anything else. If you got one with HDMI or even component it is worth it. HDMI just makes the whole shebang work a lot smoother.

example:

Xbox--->HDMI cable--->7.1 surround head unit--->HDMI cable-----> TV

One cable. not fifteen different ones, running all over. The PS3 is the same, except I used optical cable for sound (louder) because I watch movies on it. The Wii I ran the RCA's (y/r/w) to a switcher box that has the old consoles hooked up to it. It's a mess.

Either way, enjoy the gaming, if any of you get XBL or PSN or WiiConnect, just post or message me your gamertag or whatever and I'll add you and we'll get to some gaming...

17. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

ALSO!!!!

since we have two new 360 owners in the house.....

the controllers are 2.4 ghz

this WILL be interfered with by 2.4 ghz and to a lesser extent 5.8 ghz cordless phones and routers.

2.4 ghz routers I believe are pretty much obsolete, so the phones are the issue.

My recommendation is to use the new DECT 6.0 phones. They work really well.

18. Osiris7790

Osiris7790 Well-Known Member

GTA IV 8)

19. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

Yeah, delayed until Q2 2008! I prepaid the thing in summer 2006!

20. Osiris7790

well its gonna be kick ass. I'd rther have a good game delayed, than a shitty game that was rushed.

21. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

Yep. agreed. Oh well....I've got tons to keep laid over until then but I miss the GTA open concept. Might have to bust out SA soon.

Well not to soon! Halo3 ships in 9 days!!

22. Osiris7790

add me on XBL my GT is mengle

23. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

Will do!

24. kevinator

I might rent Halo 3 but see me buying it untill after x-mas if its good.

I just bought SKATE and its super fun. Also just got into the Call of Duty 4 MP BETA by luck and its a really fun game also. Just preordered it. Sucks I only own 1 360 game.

25. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

I was in two versions of the Halo 3 Beta, the first was the public beta that you just had to buy Crackdown to get into, and it was Ok. We essentially just tested server response. The other was the "Alpha" beta, the test that had a lot more toys and options, but was on false maps. It was based on shipping code, or mostly, and we tested weapon balance and Saved Films options. It was closed, meaning you had to get in on invite only, and there were schedules to follow.

I was also on the Warhawk beta, and found the game vastly improved off of our input.

Good luck with the COD4 beta!

You can pick up some killer games for cheap at the used bins or even best sellers. Dead Rising, Dead Or Alive 4, PGR3, Test Drive Unlimited and Ninety-Nine Nights are some of my favourite launch and early titles.