1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.

War

Discussion in 'Social Issues' started by crazyjoe, Sep 16, 2007.

1. crazyjoe

crazyjoe Lurker

What are your opinions of war?

Personally I feel war, at times, is necessary. Foreign enemies(like Al Queda for instance) refuse to realistically negotiate, and probably will not stop their attacks on the US. Military force then is needed to deter them/stop them.

I agree with the quote of Aristotle, "We make war so that we may live in peace."

I don't, however, support going to war to solve another nation's problems(IE: Iraq, Vietnam). It hasn't worked historically, and there are usually other motives behind the reasons provided for helping the country.

2. Raidenator

Raidenator Lurker

War...what is it good for?

Personally I think war is an inaltruistic nature of human life. I don't believe that any reason for going to war is good. If humans were not predisposed to warring with others, then the "good reasons" would be moot in the first place.

On the other hand, I would also agree that war is an integral part to life. Well, in the sense that it has shaped the history of the earth a countless number of times. War has done more for mankind than anything ever could.

3. spooky

spooky Lurker

I really dont know how i feel about the war. I mean if they want the US's help then its good. But if they dont want our help then we should pull out.. I dunno lol

4. Jaba

Jaba Well-Known Member

War has harmed mankind more I think - look at us now!
    We all live in our separated nations trying to avoid conflict over territories, political issues and religion. War has, of course, been a necessary evil I suppose to protect ourselves from domination by others. It isn't all that long ago when the British Empire ruled over 25% of the world. WTF was that greed all about - was it really necessary? All I can say is that it probably will never be a peaceful world as long as we all have separated beliefs and different agenda's.

5. Monstermash

Monstermash Well-Known Member

I think the sad thing about it is, as long as there are stupid people there will always be war and stupid people are'nt going to go away soon. I agree with Jaba that since there is no harmony between nations or religions or poitical harmony war will continue to be raged. There needs to be a more wholistic approach to the way the human race tried to live and co-exist on this planet.

6. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

War is a beast that is unfortunately sometimes a necessary evil in our world. War used as world policing or empire expansion to me is a no-no in our modern day world. War used to fight oppression, human rights (as determined by the UN not by one person) or as a civil movement against a dictatorship is right. My views on war may be slightly different than others because I am Canadian, and thus our country has only 140 years of experience dealing with war. We went from exceeding expectations in WWI to being valiant and feared in WWII to now having a military so small that Wal Mart could take us over.

example:
    WWI: 595 000 enlisted service men
    WWII: 1.1 million enlisted service men
    Korea: 26 791

Current day: 101 500 (including regular forces of 65 000, reserves, Rangers and special forces of 36 500)

I believe this is not enough to defend our country if anything were to happen. So, in a way, our involvement in Afghanistan (of which I greatly approve) is doing good. Recruitment is up and we are doing better. And sadly this money would not be spent unless we had the war to worry about.

World policing and meddling of other nations policy is ultimately something that Canada has opted to avoid. Following WWII and Canada's reluctance to return to war, a policy of Multilateralism was adopted, and I stand by that policy. There is also a six piece criteria that must be met for Canada to declare war on another nation, except when we are directly attacked or threatened. Then we are to act upon it.

War is real, and it is not to be used lightly. It is necessary to invoke war at some instances and on others it is not.

7. crazyjoe

crazyjoe Lurker

for those that are some what against it would you agree with this quote:

"I prefer the most unjust peace to the most righteous war" - Cicero

8. Raidenator

Raidenator Lurker

Yeah you're right. But at the same time can we really say that without war there would be peace? Odd I know, but I think it's pretty self-explanatory.

Besides, not all wars have to be physical fighting. Take the Cold War for example, it wasn't a physical war but definitely a war. Take a look at what it accomplished though, it brought about the "Space Race" between Russia and the U.S. and was the starting point for further space exploration. Russia launched Sputnik, so we said, "Hey, we can't take that shit." then we landed on the moon.

9. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member

Regrettably, I must agree with you Raid.

Human nature :(.

The only positive outcome of war is the technological advances that spin-off into civilian use... but then again- is the Galileo sat. nav. system not civilian? No- utterly naive of me to think such a priori: I suppose that Galileo must be military like GPS is- again a priori.

10. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member

11. Hails

Hails Well-Known Member

This song suits this thread

Have You Forgotton?????

[youtube=425,350]m_-x9kMPauc[/youtube]

12. Dennis

Dennis R.I.P.

Diamond Rio,
    In God We Still Trust

[youtube=425,350] v/DiYgpPB1kwU&rel=1[/youtube]