1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.
  3. You are currently browsing an area which has guest posting enabled. Please be aware that any contributions as a guest will be moderated before public display.

Build a PC / Guts Thread

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Private_Ale, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Private_Ale

Private_Ale King Neckbeard

OK JBB I've been looking at this and I think this is your issue:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto...e-to-boot-with-new-graphics-card/td-p/3930544

The guaranteed fix seems to be updating your BIOS to version 8.18:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=vc_127058_1&swEnvOid=4131#tab1

I would read that entire thread and make your own choice. There is always some risk with updating the BIOS, but you need to decide by reading that thread. It seems safe.

OS and Model seems irrelevant in this case since the MSI MS-7778 (2AE0) was used in all models of that generation. According to that thread, it's true.

Sure enough, it labels your issue as "fixed"

2. Private_Ale

3. Private_Ale

JUST SO IT DOESN'T GET LOST, THIS IS THE POST YOU WANT.

Another case and another confirmation: Bonus points edition! The same exact model you have.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...ilion-p7-1235-Desktop-PC-bios-to/td-p/5758388

As long as your SSID is 2AE0 you should be golden. So just double-confirm by looking at whatever stickers are on the case.

And even better, a newer BIOS was attached into that post, version 8.20 with proper Windows 7 documentation:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=vc_140765_1&swEnvOid=4059#tab2

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  4. Private_Ale

5. Private_Ale

6. Private_Ale

7. Private_Ale

By the way, thanks for trusting me through this JBB. :)

Hope you enjoy the upgrade!

8. Johnny Panachai

Johnny Panachai Cap'n Stank

Thanks for putting up with me.

Now where is Ian with his video card issue? What is he looking for in a card?

9. Johnny Panachai

AMD is offering a free copy of hitman with purchase of rx470... How to prove I bought one ? yo.

10. Private_Ale

Unfortunately you don't. You can ask, but usually it's offered by the retailer and only during the promotion periods.

Gone through that with my 970s too. It's mostly a sham lol

11. Johnny Panachai

figures...

just wanted the free.

12. Private_Ale

I mean, you can ask Amazon. Who knows. :p

13. Johnny Panachai

Just downloaded the newest drivers!

14. Private_Ale

I don't know what the heck is up with SaDie but it's been freezing up like mad today. I think I finally messed around with too many settings.

Really only started having issues when I set all of the USB ports to always be powered on in the device manager.. I think? Or maybe it was when I was changing the power saving settings in the UEFI?

I don't know. Reliability History gives absolutely no help except "unexpected shutdown", not even an error code.

I think I will try reverting my changes to the USB ports and allow them to power down, and also revert the change in the UEFI.

I really hope it's not my overclock becoming unstable, but I don't think it is.

Maybe it's just time for a fresh install. This is the same install since I first built the system, even after many hardware changes. So, maybe it's just time for a fresh beginning. Which might suck a little.

15. Johnny Panachai

16. Private_Ale

All better now. I ended up just reverting my changes to just the USB hubs.

Seems like Logitech's drivers didn't like that. As nice as the C920 webcam is, the drivers are pretty spotty.

screenshot.546.png

I guess the driver expects the webcam to turn off when the system suspends and leaving it technically powered up when the system resumes just made the driver panic about something.

I had no real reason to disable the power management of the hubs except that I just wanted my keyboard lights to stay on after suspend. :D

So, all is peachy again. I'm not going to reinstall. At least not yet. I have everything too comfy right now.

17. Private_Ale

So my little DAC is now using Toslink instead of USB, maybe it's a placebo, but the toslink sounds nicer, almost like there's better isolation of individual sounds, very sanitary.

There's no electrical connection from the DAC to the PC now, they're totally isolated from each other.

18. Johnny Panachai

19. Private_Ale

So I replaced my 27" 144hz monitor with a 43" 4K HDR TV from Best Buy because it's honestly been a while since I impulse bought something. :D