1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.

What were you doing when 9/11 occured?????

Discussion in 'Social Issues' started by Hails, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Hails

Hails Well-Known Member

I know thats a hard question for one and all, and sorry to ask that but was just wondering what you were doing when it occured

Well i had just made my daughter and myself a sandwich for lunch i walk straight into me loungeroom n i dropped the plates straight on the floor with my jaw dropped, us Aussies felt the pain what you guys felt, it was unbelievable, it just came live on TV still till this day its still undescribeable, Shocking to see, RIP all

2. SurfSarge

SurfSarge misfit

I watched it go down live...Heard about the first plane hitting on my way into work
    thought nothing of it actually..I was thinkn it was Cessna because they fly over the city all the time
    Then when I made it to work the TV told a diff story...I hopped in my truck and Headed for
    Atlantic Highlands{Perfect view of the City from across the River}..The rest is History!
    We lost all phones land line and cell's.

3. Hails

Hails Well-Known Member

I had cousins over in NY i was trying to ring them n i couldn't even get through so yea, thats understandable with the phone goin down, i stayed up till 1am trying to ring

4. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

To tell you the truth, I was having the time of my life. I had cut class right at first period. Me, this wicked hot chick, and a bunch of friends went to a spot we had down on the river. We sat there, smoking and drinking, cranking music all day, until like 3:30. I went to work to start at 4 and all the televisions were on CNN in the television showcase. (I worked for a different store then). I had no idea! I stood stunned as to what I was watching. It made me rather uneasy, because here I was enjoying my day and completely oblivious to what was happening that when I did see what happened I felt very bad, even guilty that I did what I did all day.

But on the lighter side of it, me and that hot chick (I think her name was Kayla) had a reunion tour the next week O0

I knew absolutely nobody in NY at the time, so I wasn't worried about them, but I was concerned for all involved down there. A cousin of mine is on the Toronto Fire team and he and a bunch of guys went down to help with the recovery.

5. Th3Skipper

Th3Skipper Well-Known Member

I was laying in bed and turned on the news about 9:30AM. I had just flown in the day before from Florida and was tired. After I seen the smoke from my livingroom window I hopped in my boat shot accross the bay and headed up the Hudson and almost got killed by the coast guard boat with a big 50 caliber machine gun mounted on the front of his boat and told me to get lost.... Fuckiing city was smoldering for months. :bat:

6. SurfSarge

SurfSarge misfit

Crazy..

Yeah the Coasties down here are Dicks as well..Nothing better to do
    then to harass locals..We musta been pulled over twice in one day..It was
    rediculous.The boat traffic is rediculous as well..especially on the Intracoastal
    We have this nice honey Hole on a bend in the IC and about 150 yds up theres
    a sweet little sandbar as you round the bend..we anchor up there and watch
    idiot after idiot hit it..It's the best for entertainment!

7. Bass

Bass Well-Known Member

Yeah, that shit was crazy.

8. SnakeBabe

SnakeBabe Well-Known Member

Sleeping. My phone woke me up. It was my agent saying tonights show I had was canceling due to the attack. I was like”What attack”

Hugs and Hissessss,
    Maria

9. Dennis

Dennis R.I.P.

I was at work and knew nothing about it till one of the guys came in
    and said we were under attack.
    My wife was off that day so I called her and she told me about it.
    I then had her put a blank tape in the VCR, set it SLP and on CNN.
    After work I spent 3 hours watching that tape.
    I can't begin to describe the shock and the horror I felt as I watched that video.

10. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member

Playing computer games, probably the original Half Life.

It was a rare night off work for me, and I had the house to myself. Next day, I turned on the TV, and I didn't know what I was watching, there was just a burning building. Then they showed a long shot of the towers, and this little black dot, and I was thinking "that's odd" then wham: Footage of the second plane crashing, then the pentagon...

I watched TV for the next few hours, I didn't know what to think, but I can't say that anything truly surprised me except for the scale and co-ordination of the attacks.

11. Butterz

Butterz Well-Known Member

I was working at Lego...the Inventory Coordinator called me down to the Warehouse Office, saying that he heard Howard Stern say a plane flew into one of the towers of the WTC.

I feel bad now, but I actually made the crack 'Another drunk pilot!'...because, at the time, there was a crackdown on commercial pilots being intoxicated while flying.

A truck driver came in and said another plane flew into the WTC...and I was like 'No man, it's only one plane, it happened like 15 minutes ago'. He said 'No..JUST NOW...another plane flew into the second tower!'

At that point I turned the TV on and knew right away we were under attack. It seemed like every 5 minutes there was news of another plane going down. I live near a nuclear submarine base, so the thought had entered my mind that they would attack there, too.

We ended up informing the employees and sent everyone home with pay. We had an office a couple of blocks for the WTC, but fortunately no one there was injured, though they had a front row seat to the entire attacks and I'm sure it was very stressful for them.

Living in America I guess I 'assumed' that something like that could never happen to 'us'...and it was quite unsettling to realize that we were nothing more than sitting ducks. I still feel 'secure' in America, but certainly don't feel 'untouchable' anymore.

The memory of that entire week is burnt into my brain...from the anger I had towards the terrorists, to trying to understand their rationalization as to WHY they would kill innocent people, seeing people jump out of the buildings to their death because that was a better option than whatever they were feeling inside, explaining the whole situation to my kids, etc. Knowing also that a HUGE war would result...I'd lived through 'conflicts' involving the USA, but I knew immediately this wasn't a 'conflict' situation, this was going to be all out war for many years.

It was very relieving, though, to realize that Americans didn't resort to 'looting' or anything of the type during all that...everyone pulled together here and put all political, race, religious and other issues aside. It's as if the whole country was united as one...everyone was there for eachother.

12. Hails

Hails Well-Known Member

Wow this is something that i cant really talk about because im in Oz, but ye the seeings n sayings you guys have told still breaks my heart maybe im just a weak person i dunno, but we saw it all live on tv just made me sandwich for me n me daughter man i walk in me loungeroom i got a big tv too, i saw my mouth n chin just dropped, the plates smashed on the floor, it was a shocking wreck for us Aussies to see also, i was trying to ring NY to me cousins to see if they were ok, i got onto em a few days later

13. smilemani

smilemani Well-Known Member

I was off from school that day, so I was trying to get a couple hours in of extra Zzz's.
    my mom walked into my room and said that there was a really bad accident
    in NY with a jet. I turned on the TV and was stunned, everyone thought it
    was some sort of accident. Then I remember the anchor Carlos Amescua, was saying
    I think this is a replay of the plane crashing... It wasn't, it was the second plane hitting.
    I felt cold and numb just by listening to the horror in the Voice of Carlos Mark and Barbra,
    the KTLA morning anchors. Then the reports of Pentagon and Pennsylvania came it.
    I was shocked and upset... But mostly pissed off. I know I live on the opposite
    coast, but I felt affected. I'm a calm person, very passive, but I wanted all the people
    that were involved caught and executed... Weird... I never thought that any event
    was going to change my mind about the death penalty.

http://www.youtube.com/v/1lKZqqSI9-s&rel=1"

This is from other channels... But it was pretty much the same

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kcrF346sS_I <---

14. Taurino

Taurino Active Member

I was sitting in class doing this assignment when our history teacher answers the phone

and we all look up because she seemed uneasy

so then she gets off and clicks the phone to hang up and says out loud in a nervous voice

Two planes have crashed into the twin towers, It seems like it's a terrorist attack.... I'm going to turn on the T.V.

Until then one of my friends across the class said. OH MY GAAAWD THAT IS SOOO SWEET!

at which point I laughed out loud, only to then hear our history teacher scorn my friend Trevor about how terrible this was.

Then I switched and wen along with the class in scorning my buddy for saying such a thing on a horrible event.

Everyone said to him, Trevor what's your problem, that is so wrong to say, people just got killed.

Of course I was only 13 and didn't get the seriousness of the situation nor did he.

15. Clouds In The Sky

Clouds In The Sky Well-Known Member

I was 17, entering my first year of university.

I was then living at the dorms, and was just getting up to go to class, until two of my neighbors knocked on my door... I had the TV on Musique Plus (the French Much Music) Britney Spears was doing her thing in her video "I'm a Slave for You"... My 2 buddies told me to change it to channel 9, and that I wasn't going to believe what I was about to witness. True enough, I couldn't believe it and felt my stomach turn. Anyway...

16. 211drinker

211drinker Lurker

I was in 8th grade trying to convince my mom into letting me stay home because I felt safe there. I just didn't wanna go to school, sucks for my brother though his b-day is on 9-11.

17. DARPA

DARPA Member

i was at work, working for a company named convergys that took care of the internal tech support issues of AT&T internet, when we went from 800 on hold at any giving min to NONE. so since we worked in a box with no contact from the outside world i went and took a break and just happen to look up at the tv and seen the first plane hit the WTC. and when i got home.. celebrated my brothers birthday..

18. kevinator

kevinator Well-Known Member

school. Teacher got a call and turned the TV on and we saw the 2nd plane hit. Our school got out early that day.