1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.
  3. You are currently browsing an area which has guest posting enabled. Please be aware that any contributions as a guest will be moderated before public display.

GNU/Linux Desktop

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Private_Ale, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Private_Ale

Private_Ale King Neckbeard

So it's that time of year again when I start wanting to nuke the netbook and reinstall the OS.

Currently, I'm using Linux Mint.

I'm now going to try out Netrunner and Manjaro.

http://www.netrunner-os.com/
    http://manjaro.org/

Both are based on Arch.

I guess this will be updated as it progresses. :)

2. Private_Ale

Netrunner did not work. Actually, it did work, but it did not agree with the PowerVR graphics on my netbook. Everything was messed up, like you punched the monitor.

Manjaro was pretty nice. I tried both the Desktop and Netbook versions. I think this weekend I might install the netbook version, it includes a special kernel just for Intel Atom netbooks and gives increased screen space.

3. Private_Ale

Going to install Antergos.

4. Private_Ale

Haha!! The XFCE desktop has an XP-based theme. I like it. :D

Screenshot - 11192014 - 10:24:04 PM.png

5. Private_Ale

Screenshot - 11202014 - 08:49:07 AM.png

6. Private_Ale

Screenshot - 11202014 - 08:56:32 AM.png

7. Private_Ale

2014-11-22-234941_1024x600_scrot.png

8. Private_Ale

Installing Cygwin and I lol'd

screenshot.1424479166.png

9. Private_Ale

OK so a year later I'm back at Antergos.

screenFetch-2016-07-26_22-39-15.png

It has definitely matured since I last used it and it's quite fast, even on my very aging netbook.

Previously I was back on Windows 7 on this netbook, but it was deteriorating quickly. All of the updates were just bring it to a crawl, making it unusable. I tried moving back to several other distros, mainly Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, and even deepin Linux. They were all too heavy for this poor aging netbook with PowerVR graphics. Ubuntu MATE was the closest thing to a usable desktop, but it quickly lost it's novelty due to an odd touchpad bug.

Knowing that Arch has a reputation for being very fast and lightweight and knowing I have no interest in installing Arch through the more "traditional" way, I decided to re-visit Antergos. I'm happy I did, it's definitely much more light than any of the Debian or Ubuntu based distributions I have tried. Best of all, it supported all of the netbook's hardware without hassle.

Of course, I need to start learning Arch now, but I think it will be fun.

10. Afronaught

Afronaught ♫ Official Princess ♫

My Debian 7 system has been running for 2 years now without a single reboot. Damn Awesome

Private_Ale likes this.
  11. Private_Ale

Should reboot it for kernel updates. :D

Afronaught likes this.
  12. Afronaught

LOL.. if it aint broke... dont fix it or tempt fate :p :D

Private_Ale likes this.
  13. Private_Ale

That's your dev server, right?

You don't want to get haxored :p

[​IMG]

14. Afronaught

LOL my Dev Server is on an Internal Network. It cant be accessed from outside.

Afr has a Clever :D

Private_Ale likes this.
  15. Private_Ale

So I went back to XP. :D

screenFetch-2016-07-29_01-12-21.png

16. Private_Ale

So, oddly enough, I suddenly began experiencing the "touchpad bug" that I had gotten on Ubuntu MATE, on Antergos. At first I was about ready to consider it a MATE issue, but I decided to just try to debug the issue by monitoring the system statistics.

Interestingly, the first thing I noticed is that when the touchpad get touchy, the system load climbs abnormally high, but why? As it turns out, for some reason, during certain sessions (usually after the netbook is started from sleep), the system just refuses to leave a lower power state and the processor stays at 400Mhz. No matter what's running, it stays at the minimum clock, it doesn't even bump for a second.

So, being completely done with this, I just forced the processor to always run at it's highest performance state. So far that has completely solved the issue.

17. Private_Ale

Ah, one very curious thing I forgot to mention: Even though my netbook is technically 64-bit, the UEFI is 32-bit. This has always prevented me from installing a 64-bit OS, including but not limited to Windows, Ubuntu, and Debian.

However, oddly enough and through sheer ignorance, it is running 64-bit Arch. It loaded and installed 64-bit Arch/Antergos without any problem. I didn't even realize I accidentally downloaded and installed the x86_x64 ISO instead of the i386 until it first updated and I noticed it was pulling the 64-bit packages.

Surely enough, somehow Arch got around the 32-bit barrier on the netbook. Pretty neat!

screenFetch-2016-08-04_14-17-33.png