1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.
  3. You are currently browsing an area which has guest posting enabled. Please be aware that any contributions as a guest will be moderated before public display.

Nvidia HD Audio

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Private_Ale, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Private_Ale

Private_Ale King Neckbeard

So in a moment of pure autism I decided to disable my onboard sound (Realtek ALC1150) and use Nvidia's HD Audio instead since I'm using a DisplayPort connection and the sound is traveling anyway.

Well, I have to say, it's spectacular. Despite only supporting 16-bit 48000Hz compared to 24-bit 192000Hz on the ALC1150, it's just so much more "comfy". It's really wonderful. The difference is noticeable with speakers, but with headphones I'm blown away with the quality shift.

Since the GPU has no traditional SPDIF or Analog out, the setup is a little interesting. Obviously I have the monitor connected to the card using DisplayPort, from there I have my speakers connected to the monitor's built-in 3.5mm out, so the monitor is acting as my DAC. My speakers have a little control pod that sits on the desk and it has another 3.5mm out for headphones.

Well, in the end I have once less driver loaded and one less process in the background, so I'm happy. :p