1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.
  3. You are currently browsing an area which has guest posting enabled. Please be aware that any contributions as a guest will be moderated before public display.

Rust

Discussion in 'Gaming & Simulations' started by Johnny Panachai, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Johnny Panachai

Johnny Panachai Cap'n Stank

Got the lock changed out and a second wood door put in. Added a roof/hunting deck that will possibly circle the entire building when I am done. Need more wood, more stone. We have bear!

I need to take the stairs out on the back side that lead to second floor. Bear delay shit, Yo!

2. Private_Ale

Private_Ale King Neckbeard

I think I'm going to try to build a circular base instead of a rectangle.

It'll be a pillbox.

3. Private_Ale

So I was buying some skins from the Steam marketplace and HOLY BEARS

screenshot.158.png

4. Private_Ale

I think I'll try this. Initially I will just build the first floor. When I get more resources I'll build the second floor. According to Fortify's stability estimator, it can go up to 4 floors while maintaining >60% stability.

20161007065342_1.jpg 20161007070102_1.jpg

5. Private_Ale

A re-imagining of Hunter's Cabin. Maybe I'll just rebuild this with some improvements.

20161007073209_1.jpg 20161007073225_1.jpg 20161007073215_1.jpg

6. Johnny Panachai

Have you spawned inside our cabin ?

7. Private_Ale

I haven't logged in at all since I first mentioned it yesterday.

8. Private_Ale

Regardless, I think it's good to have two bases, especially if on opposite sides of the map. :)

9. Private_Ale

Sounds good!

Since you're going to build a big base, I'll build a small base. So I will go with my Pillbox design. It'll have lots of storage for us to use. That way if one of us gets raided, it's not a total loss.

10. Private_Ale

Oh JBB, a tip -

I'm not sure if you noticed in the old cabin, but I always split my stacks when processing items, like smelting metal or cooking food. There's a reason for this: Splitting the stack multiplies the efficiency.

For example, if you put 1 stack of 1000 metal ore you'll get 1x metal fragments per cycle. However if you put 3 stacks of 333 metal ore you'll get 3x metal fragments per cycle tripling efficiency.

You can fill up all of the available slots to greatly improve efficiency. Just make sure you leave three empty slots: One for wood, one for charcoal, and one of the processed material.

This also works great for cooking meat: If you have 20 bear meat, fill two slots with 10 each and you'll get 2 cooked bear meat each cycle instead of just one.

11. Private_Ale

Well the good news is that when I woke up I wasn't dead or raided despite living in a 1x1 twig shack.

Bad news was my very good friend Mr Bear was waiting for me when I broke down my wall lols!

20161007234940_1.jpg

Luckily I had a gun that I managed to acquire from an air drop that I literally spawned in front of a day ago.

After a lot of searching (a lot) I found an area that looks JUST LIKE my old area. So I started construction of the pillbox. Named "Pillbox HC2", I'm hoping that construction will go smoother now that I know how it works unlike last time.

12. Private_Ale

JBB, just FYI, this is how I think people are stealing your stuff without breaking anything.

20161008081148_1.jpg

13. Johnny Panachai

I tried to get up that rock and couldn't!

Well, Should I go up one more story on that side?

14. Johnny Panachai

I walled up two stories on that corner, wall braces in stalled on the third story height and improved to wood and just twig walls on what would be the fourth story height.

I made it two wide on the corner facing the rock and only went one wide going away from the rock. That would be one hell of a jump and landing!

Did you kill that fucking wolf in the pic?

15. Johnny Panachai

I need to travel and get more wood and stone!

Cautious about traveling in the evenings and on weekends, the little bastards are at play!

Maybe Monday I go deep into the map!

Still can't figure out how to mark stuff on the map. I see the dots on the legend but don't know how to click and drag or what . . .

I would be subtle... Red dot=water tower, bright green or grey = reactor towers Home=smaller red dot?

There is also a cave! Wouldn't be much room for stuff, but with an armored door it might withstand a good beating. Hard to find until stumbled upon.
    Boring though, it faces the water and is right off the shore - anyone spawning at night would see your fire.

16. Private_Ale

Ah, I need to build a large furnace. I have three small furnaces going right now and I still can't get enough output.

I think I might demolish the my pillbox from the third floor up. Demolish the center circle and build the large furnace there since it technically needs to be on the ground. If I go through with demolishing it, it's going to waste a lot of tools. That's why I say the third floor up, since they're still twig.

If I do that, the pillbox will be the dedicated smelting facility and I'll begin construction on Hunter's Cabin 2.

You need to bunny-hop up it in a spiral pattern.
    No, I had no tools or weapons. In fact, I actually left you my rock and my torch before I suicided.
    Be defensive! Not aggressive. Don't forget it's technically a "Friendly" server. Jumping seems to be the universal "Hello" so if you see a strange person, Jump and see if they return the jump with another Jump. I also bound "Head Look" to the middle mouse button so that I can look around easily while running around.
    There's several rows of things. One is brush size, another is brush style, brush shape, and color. Choose the largest dot, then choose the white square, then choose the color you want. Paint with the left mouse button. Be careful though! If you lose your map, whoever picks it up will know everything you marked!
    I think I actually was there once. Is it surrounded by cactus? Does it go downwards deeper?

Be careful with that one, you can get in through the top, that's why I abandoned it.

17. Private_Ale

This is going to take forever lols. Uhhh. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I can't abandon the base and I really can't use 100+ pickaxes and 5+ hours to remove the stone foundation.

18. Johnny Panachai

I have a track ball, I has a sad.

This one appears to be a different cave.

19. Johnny Panachai

I have enabled a monster! LOL

Private_Ale likes this.
  20. Private_Ale

OK well as I mentioned over Steam, I ended up making a second refinery linked to the first using a sky-bridge. The second refinery (Refinery BETA) is hollow with no core and instead has a massive smelter that can process like no tomorrow. Refinery B also has no external door. The only way in or out is using the sky-bridge and using Refinery ALPHA's entrance.

The observation deck of Refinery ALPHA is where the rooms are. Each room is 1.5 blocks, has it's own door, an actual bed, and a large storage chest.

Here's my progress so far:

20161009035448_1.jpg 20161009033441_1.jpg 20161009035432_1.jpg 20161009060156_1.jpg

Hopefully each floor, including the roof, will be sheet metal soon. I'm happy that both foundations and both ground-floors are sheet metal. That was a lot of effort, but it's very important.

21. Private_Ale

I built a small shack a little bit down from the refinery. Mainly because I had so much excess stone, but also because 1) It's good to have multiple spawn points. 2) It's noticeably weaker than the refinery, if someone breaks into it, I'll know I have an enemy nearby. 3) It's toolbox radius will help keep any other potential settlers off my little chunk of land.

20161009073202_1.jpg 20161009073026_1.jpg

I also painted a sign for my door. (I'll give you one too JBB)

20161009074435_1.jpg

Also, using a weapon-mounted flashlight at night is like something out of a horror movie.

20161009082330_1.jpg 20161009081944_1.jpg

22. Private_Ale

My storage deck is coming along nicely. Have containers for everything, even water.

20161009120453_1.jpg

Although downstairs I have my first aid box right next to the door. Though, what could possibly be in a box labeled "First Aid"?.

20161009120413_1.jpg

Of course, lots of meat. lols :rofl:

20161009120416_1.jpg

Also put a sign up designating the Alpha and Beta refineries.

20161009121026_1.jpg

23. Private_Ale

Another day, another raid. Thankfully they hit Beta instead of Alpha and I actually caught them in the act. Poor JBB was raided too.

Well, Alpha is now all stone. I even secured the roof access twice. I'm going to try to totally secure Alpha with sheet metal before I attempt to reclaim Beta.

I also put some signs up.

20161010050158_1.jpg 20161010051222_1.jpg

Also, fucking bears.

20161010051529_1.jpg

24. Private_Ale

OK at least now I know what a contributing factor to my problem was. I need to add another toolbox to the end of Beta to prevent degenerates from building raid towers near it.

20161010053831_1.jpg 20161010055150_1.jpg

25. Private_Ale

Well... good enough. For some reason the slanted roof didn't want to work, so I had no choice but to use a flat floor and some half-walls. Still, at least now my build radius is effectively doubled. Should hopefully prevent any more low-effort raid towers.

20161010063447_1.jpg