1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.
  3. You are currently browsing an area which has guest posting enabled. Please be aware that any contributions as a guest will be moderated before public display.

Hacksaw Ridge

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, & The Arts' started by Johnny Panachai, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Johnny Panachai

Johnny Panachai Cap'n Stank

This was a very inspirational movie and a true story.

What that man did took BALLS (ok, and an unwavering faith in God.)

This isn't a Christian based movie that I know of - Directed by Mel Gibson

But the main character was a very Christian based man.

Ian, if you haven't seen this movie, you need to. What Desmond T. Doss did as a conscientious objector during battle was nothing short of heroic.

*spolier - In basic training, there is a character that prefers to walk around nude, but they never show his jiggly bits.

cymru am byth and Afronaught like this.
  2. Afronaught

Afronaught ♫ Official Princess ♫

This is definitely on my watch list

3. Johnny Panachai

I shall see a reply when it has been viewed ?

4. cymru am byth

cymru am byth twll dîn pob sais

Brilliant film, I watched it a while ago after someone told me how good it was, I've watched it several times since and made others watch it too.

Johnny Panachai likes this.
  5. Afronaught

Definately

6. cymru am byth

cymru am byth twll dîn pob sais

I'm not religious in the slightest but the dedication, bravery and faith shown by Doss was incredible.

7. Afronaught

Ok I watched the film...

It takes an extraordinary amount of Courage to stand up for what you believe, and to do it alone, against overwhelming opposition.

This is going to sound strange.... but hear me out first.

In Okinawa he had faith in God to help him, so in reality his belief that god will help him bring back his squad mates from the ridge gave him the conviction to keep going back and bring more wounded home. I don't see that as courage... dedication to duty, yes. He kept asking god to help him bring back one more.

However Okinawa was not his first Battle, The real story starts in Leyte in the Philippines, where he showed the same bravery under fire and earned the respect of his squad.

The Real courage was back at Fort Jackson. Against all pressure from his instructors, Commanding officers, and Squad mates, He stuck to his Values. he never wavered under the pressure, even when facing a court Marshall.

The Film Glossed over some of the treatment he received at Fort Jackson. thee real story there was horrendous, he was treated worse than shit, branded a coward, and humiliated on a daily basis in an attempt to get him out of the service. That's the real courage

His Platoon Commander, Captain Jack Glover sees it as it is. "I said I will never have him at my side in battle unless he had a rifle and then to have him end up saving my life was the Irony of the whole thing"

The sad par of this is that even though the Army was Completely wrong about Doss, they never learned from this.

8. Afronaught

I also think Mel Gibson Failed in really portraying Doss Properly. He needs to stay away from directing war movies. and leave that for Clint Eastwood to do.

9. Johnny Panachai

Nice review Sir!

And yes, I believe his basic training could have been it's own movie (Part 1).

Could have made one hell of an HBO series! That would be bad-ass if someone had the balls to do. I bet they wouldn't touch it now, since everyone knows the ending, why bother exposing more truth ?

Personal question . . . Regarding some of the hell he was put through and him sticking to his personal beliefs: Did you see a young Ian?

10. Afronaught

His experience and Mine were completely different. He was a Conscientious objector. and I was transgendered.

I got shit from my Drill Instructors from day one, but I learned quickly just to do what I'm told to, when I was told to. I did for the most part keep my personal life off Base.

so during boot camp I just became one of the guys, not completely though, let's just say I did my share of Latrine duty and K.P. more than the average. but no one was trying to get me to quit.. more like just fucking me up because My moth sometimes ran off quicker than my brain could stop it..

I was never given a "blanket Party" (beaten up by the squad), because I did my share just as well as the others did.

Also the Guys I did boot camp with never became my squad mates. after Basic Training we git shipped off to a different training camp depending on our mustering. and Our Instructors never went with us, they remained at training until their service ended. I ended up in a Place called RooiKop for my Second Phase training, which was training for the role I was to take part in in the military, witch was Ops Medic.

I use the term Medic loosely because We were more Combat than medic. we were a support group to the 4 Reconnaissance Unit 5th Special Forces Regiment which meant we did the same 6 months of Special Forces training they did, and an additional 12 weeks of Combat parachute training and Battle field triage.

The First Time I met my Squad mates was on my first Deployment, and we were only a quad of 10 which I was the medic and additional squad rifle to a team of Special Forces Operators.

Once I was posted on Ops and deployed, no one actually knew who I was before I entered service.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017