1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.
  3. You are currently browsing an area which has guest posting enabled. Please be aware that any contributions as a guest will be moderated before public display.

American flown Spitfire in WWII

Discussion in 'Videos On The Web' started by Johnny Panachai, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Johnny Panachai

Johnny Panachai Cap'n Stank

I know, Ian, I had you at Spitfire !

Very interesting and educational video. I like how they unfolded the events in front of him as they also learned from him.

"Any pilot should fly a Spitfire at least once."

I will save further comment until others have watched this excellent documentary.

2. Afronaught

Afronaught ♫ Official Princess ♫

Having spoken with WW2 Pilots, I have to say a couple of things.

1. You have to be a special kind of brave to fly a plane Especially an Unarmed Fighter plane deep over enemy territory daily.
    2. Not getting shot down doing unarmed flyovers, this guy has a special kind of luck.
    3. Belly landing a spitfire and not Cartwheeling the plane across the grass takes some real skill.

Photo recon pilots never get recognition for their work... it always fighter pilots who are the big heroes, with Kill scores and Ace tags painted beneath their canopy. but tell a fighter pilot to take a plane unarmed over enemy territory, hang around for 30 or 45 minutes and then come back you then separate the chickens from the heroes.

3. Johnny Panachai

Johnny Panachai Cap'n Stank

Yeah not to mention the void they created by taking out the guns and ammunition, they just filled with more fuel, perfect for when you are an unarmed target.

Plus they took out the armor for reduced weight. What was it he said? "They figured if the enemy got that close you were dead anyway." - Balls of steel.

What was even more remarkable was the part where he said he took it right back up once they replaced the prop and radiators. That was a well built plane indeed!

Shit if that happened today, they would have to use special tools or sonograms or dyes or something expensive and time consuming to verify it was still airworthy.

That had to be an oh shit moment when he yanked on the headphone cord and he heard the C02 canister discharge. Or at least an "Oh shit!" once he realized what had happened.
    I like how he told of stretching the cable over an inch from trying to pry it with a crowbar LOL adrenaline rush at its finest.

Did they ever find a fix for the P-38 and the turbo charging issue? A pre heater for the pre heater?

I need to go back and hear the date he enlisted out of high school and the date of this crash...He was 18 when he learned to fly and could not have been very much older when this happened, but training and by then God only knows how many hours he had in the air, he was a seasoned son of a gun.

Oh, in response to your #1. Youth, sir. When we were young it took a few older men sometimes to remind us we are mortal, that or some very close calls and seeing other young men die.
    When we were young, we weren't as brave as we were naive.

I'm glad you liked the video.

I also find it funny how the two: General & Field Marshal just decided that the yanks needed Spitfires and that was it. Fuck a budget, fuck congress, we are in a war and this is what we are doing, move along, nothing to see here.