1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.
  3. You are currently browsing an area which has guest posting enabled. Please be aware that any contributions as a guest will be moderated before public display.

Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, & The Arts' started by Afronaught, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Afronaught

Afronaught ♫ Official Princess ♫

OK, So I'm now watching the new Star Trek Discovery Series, and so Far after 5 Episodes I'm a bit disappointed in the Series

The Series is supposed to take place 8 years before Captain Kirk Takes Command of the Enterprise. Which is almost 100 Years Since Captain Archer From the Enterprise Series Formed the Federation of Planets.

It's supposed to follow the Original Time line of the Star Trek Series. Which Means that The Discovery is launched 2 years after Captain Pike's Command of the Enterprise and 8 Years before Kirk Takes over Command From Pike. It does not Follow the new Film Based time line.

So I have some issues with the Series.
    1. The Lead Character, Michael Burnham (Actually a female Character) is an Orphan who is raised on Vulcan by her Adopted Parents Sarek and Amanda, who Just Happens to be Spock's Mother and Father.

Why Use Spock's Family to tie her in to the show... It makes no sence, as There has never been any reference to Spock Having a human Step sister anywhere in the Franchise.?

2. The Klingons. I don't quite like the look of the new Klingon's... Hairless Some with Purple Skin or some are Albino, and Some are Dark Brown. No beards and Main Like hair. it Just does not fit with how Klingons are portrayed in all Series.

Also it seems that the Philosophy has also changed in Klingon Culture. For Example Klingon's Perceive the dead to be empty shells and of no value. Yet in this series they turn an entire Battle Cruiser into a Flying Graveyard honoring their dead. Which is supposed to be totally the opposite to what Klingons believe.

On A personal note:

The Gay Relationship Between the Chief Engineer Lieutenant Paul Stamets and the Ships Physician Lieutenant Commander Hugh Culber, has put me off a bit. It seems that they want to address the Gay issue surrounding George Takei's (Hikaru Sulu) real life Coming out as Gay. I found it distasteful that the Latest Star Trek Film Put Sulu in a gay relationship, as I believe the original Character was not Gay. I just Feel that the Franchise is pandering unnecessarily to Political Correctness.

2. Void

Void ZXC-79523

I've heard a lot about the new series. Haven't watched it yet, I saw it's on Netflix. I'll give it a watch. I'm not too familiar with all the history ...but I do agree the original sulu was not gay. I'll let you know when I watch.

3. Rubicks

Rubicks Well-Known Member

Unfortunately TV is pandering to the current trends,just wait until the Transgendered Star Trek starts up,you have been warned(funny how spell check does not like transgendered)

4. Void

Void ZXC-79523

Look i thought the playboy thing just after Hefner died was extreme. lol.