1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.
  3. You are currently browsing an area which has guest posting enabled. Please be aware that any contributions as a guest will be moderated before public display.

Megadeth

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, & The Arts' started by Butterz, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Butterz

Butterz Well-Known Member

Anyone here check out Megadeth's new album, United Abominations?

If you're a fan of Megadeth from the Rust in Peace era and before, I think you'll be surprised how great this album is. I kinda lost interest in them during their Youthanasia era, appreciated them a bit more (artistically) on some of their later stuff, but felt they were going the same way as Metallica.

This new album is definitely a return to their metal/thrash roots...check it out.

Anybody already hear it? Your opinions?

2. SurfSarge

SurfSarge misfit

No yet...I just heard pennywise is going to put their new album up on myspace for 2 weeks
    so people can download it for free...

3. Butterz

Yeah, I think Radiohead is doing something similar...I think it's great, but I don't understand the financial aspect to it, unless they are banking on a HUGE tour as a result...

Granted, albums are becoming less and less expensive to record, but, at that level it's still a very expensive project...plus all the marketing by the record company to promote the album, etc.

Wonder how they're pulling that off without losing out on the initial investment? Must be someone footing the bill somewhere...

4. SurfSarge

SurfSarge misfit

It's only for 2 weeks..Even if people d/l it they will still buy it.
    They won't lose money thats for sure..

5. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

3 of my mates just saw Megadeth at the weekend, in London.

6. Butterz

How did they like them? I'm really impressed with their new album. I really lost interest in Megadeth during their 'Youthanasia' era, didn't like the route he took musically. Since his injury, I think he's back in rare form again.

I saw them back in 1990 on the 'Clash of the Titans' Tour...Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax on the same bill...Alice in Chains was brand new, and they opened up...one of the best shows I've ever been to. Amazing.

7. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

The only one I talked to since described it 'as the worst night of his life' I think thats mainly cos he got stranded at a tiny train station in the middle on nowhere on his way home and had to spend the night on a park bench though.

I'm sure they all loved it though, all metal heads. Megadeth ain't my thing though.

8. eruptionx

eruptionx Well-Known Member

i LOVE megadeth. i only have 3 of their albums but i love em too much.

9. Butterz

I've got all their early stuff, the first five or six albums...and I have their last two new albums, which is a lot like the old stuff.

Cryptic Writings was decent, but I never bought it. They lost me there for a little while when Youthanasia came out...kinda 'artsy' and to me not much substance. But, their new shit has them kicking ass again, and his lyrics have always been good.

I saw them on the Clash of the Titans Tour with Alice in Chains, Anthrax and Slayer back in '90. This was when they had Friedman and Menza in the band...fucking incredible.

AIC was an unheard of band at the time, their first album had JUST been released. It was a predominately 'thrash' crowd, but AIC earned a lot of respect that day...they were great.

10. eruptionx

i have peace sells, countdown, and rust in peace. i love em all.

i was thinkin about getting youthanaisa but i heard mixed reviews about it. my fav lineup is obviously with menza and marty. peace sells had a great lineup too tho.

im kinda hesistant to buy their new shit cause of the lineup, even tho mustaine is probably still amazing. thats pretty awesome tho that u saw all of them. i wish i was older back then lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2008
  11. Butterz

Judging by what you have of their albums, I think you'd be VERY disappointed with Youthanasia.

But...a couple that you're missing from the earlier days is 'Killing is my Business...and business is good'...it's a faster version of Metallica's 'Kill 'em All'. In fact, The Four Horsemen was co-written by Mustaine, and he does the same song on that album, under the name 'Mechanix'...just different lyrics.

Also, 'So Far, So Good, So What' is an AWESOME album, imo. The critics fucking hated it, but it's got some of my favorite Megadeth tunes on it like 'Hook in Mouth', 'Into the Lungs of Hell', '502' and 'In my Darkest Hour'...classic shit!

I know what you mean about the new albums...it's tough not having familiar guys in the band, although, Chris Poland returned on guitar for the 'comeback' album. But, hearing it, you'd never really know...it's really good stuff.

12. eruptionx

i heard Killing is my business and its pretty damn good. i might get it someday. couldnt hurt cause it has the peace sells line up.

in my darkest hour is a great song but yeah i dont like the lineup for that album. maybe i need to hear more tracks from it. its definitely not ur ordinary megadeth album. i wish they didnt go through so many changes lol.

im sure ill end up checking out all their albums eventually :p the more megadeth the better!!

13. Butterz

Yeah, the lineup kinda sucked...and their rendition of Anarchy in the UK is fucking HORRIBLE.

But, it really is a decent album. MOST of the album is really solid. Mary Jane is kind of a klunker...but, every album has a couple usually.

14. eruptionx

true that. ill probably like it a lot knowing me. im still hooked on peace sells atm tho lol

Butterz likes this.
  15. Butterz

It's actually a lot like Peace sells in a way...that same vein of thrash, a bit more polished and 'live recorded' sounding...better production, imo.

Too much production isn't a good thing...but it works on this album. I actually stayed away from the album for a few years when it came out because the critics tore it apart, saying it sucked, Mustaine was too strung out on heroin, etc. etc. The only song I'd heard off of it was 'Anarchy' and I thought that was awful...when I finally broke down and bought it, I was shocked at how good it was...I was expecting it to suck ass because it didn't sell good and the critics were bashing it.

16. Rubicks

Rubicks Well-Known Member

goes off to find Megadeth to form an opinion(or get a headache):)

17. Butterz

^^^ You never listened to them, Rubicks?

18. Afronaught

Afronaught ♫ Official Princess ♫

^^^ I havent listend to a whole lot it either... you sould put some up on beertube :afro:

19. Butterz

I almost did the other day...but feared I'd be overloading the place with thrash music! I had already put Suicidal Tendencies and Anthrax on there.

I'll pick a couple of goodies, though...they are an excellent band.

Dave Mustaine is the leader of Megadeth...he is credited on a bunch of songs on the first three Metallica albums...they kicked him out of the band and sent him home from NY to CA on a bus when they went to record their first record, and hired Kirk Hammett...lol...but, they still kept the songs he helped write.

20. Afronaught

You simply must put it up for the sake of Diversity :D

21. Butterz

Ok, I picked a few doozies...

Man, I'm dating myself! lmao

I still consider these guys 'hip' and 'cool'...and I'm posting shit from 20 years ago. OMG where did the 80's go, man?

22. Afronaught

LOL I miss them too :D

23. Rubicks

ok so i picked the Buenos Aries album but my dear Lady wife (who must be obeyed in ALL things)said forgodsakewillyouputonyourblooodyheadphones:(
    but when she goes out i will listen to it on main speakers ,But i must say up to now OK

Butterz likes this.
  24. Butterz

^^^lol...yeah, my wife's not big into them, either.

They're one of those bands, if you 'get it', you love them. If not...forget about it!

From a guitarists standpoint, they make my heart race and my fingers ache just listening to them...amazing.

25. Rubicks

so, what as a guitarist are your thoughts on yngwie malmsteen?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2008