1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.
  3. You are currently browsing an area which has guest posting enabled. Please be aware that any contributions as a guest will be moderated before public display.

Gear

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, & The Arts' started by Butterz, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Butterz

Butterz Well-Known Member

So, what do you guys play on?

Here's a list and pics of my current gear:

Guitars:
    PRS SE Custom (the 'cheap' model of Paul Reed Smith Guitars, like the Fender Squier, but I LOVE Paul Reed Smith and was really impressed with this budget model, perfect action and I didn't even need to drop Seymour Duncan pickups in it, the stock pickups are really good, surprisingly)
    Ibanez Artwood Acoustic (good tone, decent action, nothing spectacular but does the trick for now)
    Schecter Diamond Series Bass (probably the last bass I'll ever own, love it!)

Amplifiers:
    Peavey Bandit II 112-1X12, 100 Watt (I miss my Peavey Classic 2X12 Tube Amp, but for a Trans-Tube this has a good sound)
    Marshall MG15CDR (decent little shit amp for practicing, my kids use it more than I do now)

Accessories:
    Tascam DP-01/FX/CD 8 Track Recorder (all in one unit, from record to mixdown to CD burn, auto punch, onboard effects, etc. Love it!)
    Guitar Tracks Software (convenient for quick track laydown when writing)
    Digitech GNX-3000 Guitar Processor (literally every sound/tone imaginable, even talk-box; love this pedal!)
    Zoom RT-123 Drum Machine (Pretty impressive sound for such a small unit)
    Shure SM-58 Microphone (boom stand)

[img width=160 height=120]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x239/rboo124/PRS002.jpg[/img]
    [img width=116 height=155]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x239/rboo124/schecterbass.jpg[/img]
    [img width=160 height=120]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x239/rboo124/Tascam.jpg[/img]
    [img width=135 height=124]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x239/rboo124/peaveybandit112.jpg[/img]
    [img width=470 height=300]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x239/rboo124/GNX3000front.jpg[/img]

2. Hails

Hails Well-Known Member

I thought this was abt guns n stuff, lol untill i looked what forum it was in nice guitars BTW

I will post my 9yr old sons tomorrow, he learns at school he can play some ACDC n the Batman theme his only in infant school too lol he be in yr 4 next year in 08, i didn't even know he was learning to play Guitar, lol, untill Neita his little sister told me

3. Butterz

Wow, that's so cool he's starting that young!

I encouraged my kids to learn, spent the time to teach them when they showed interest, but they never really stuck with it. My youngest is showing some interest now, but, once again, I've given her material to practice and she isn't sticking with it.

I guess it's not 'cool' to do what dad does! lol

4. Hails

Hails Well-Known Member

Yea he keeps telling me to go to eBay to look at all the electric ones, LOL n his only 9 lol

5. Butterz

Go for it...if he's into it. Starting off that young, damn, he'll be insanely good by the time he's a teenager. I didn't start until I was 13, didn't get serious until I was 15.

I think it's good for kids to be passionate about something, keeps them on the straight and narrow.

Watch out for the groupies in ten years, though! hehe

6. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

Well, I have 4 guitars. Two electric, two acoustic.

[​IMG]

Electric
    (The blue one)Fender StageMaster 7-It's a 7 string, awesome sound to it. It's kinda in the corner on this shot....

(The Black one)Repli-Strat- A knock off (but a good one) of a Stratocaster. Picked it up for dirt cheap (75 bucks) Very solid guitar.

Acoustic
    A pair of Yamaha Eternas. The GF and I play alot.

My amp is nothing special, it's a small Groove Factory thinger. My friend Chris has all the gear, and a small studio to go with it. He also has a large piano, a wide assortment of classical strings (cello, violin, etc) a wall of electrics, no two the same, two bass units and a slick drumset. He is the all around musician, trained and graduated from the conservatory. He shows me bits and pieces, but we really like just to sit down and rip some stuff off ourselves and layer it in Audition.

Just ignore the guitar hero controllers!!!

The second pic is the rec room downstairs. It's where I go to chill out and play games, guitar or drunken darts.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2008
  7. SurfSarge

SurfSarge misfit

I have 2 guitars...Both acoustics..
    One very old Ovation and a washburn
    Sold the Fender Strat and 80w Marshall combo amp
    I just don't have the time to strum anymore..Oh yeah
    we bought our son a washburn electric for xmas
    I can't get the piece of shit to stay in tune..LoL
    I shouldn't say that he loves it.

8. Bass

Bass Well-Known Member

Well, I have a Digi001 for recording. A pair of AKG perception 200 mics with shock mounts, a Studio Projects C1, some cables, stands and other various bits. I also have some mic pre amps on layaway. 1" 16 track tape machine should be here in late january. Got a line on a vintage 1176 and Neotek console.

I am looking to buy a Les Paul studio, Fender Jazz bass, and a nice acoustic. My brother has a really nice set of Noble & Cooley drums, so we have that covered.

If all goes well this year, I will be upgrading the 001 to either an HD rig or a 003 with C|24.

9. Butterz

Sweet!

I bought my brother a Fender Jazz bass about a year and a half ago...he LOVES it, says it's the best bass he's ever owned. I was shopping for a Les Paul when I discovered the PRS...I like the look and reputation of Les Paul, but can't stand the 'feel' to it. I was exclusive to strats for over 20 years, probably used to that feel and I think my hands/fingers just aren't cut out for the Les Paul fretboard.

What kind of 16 track are you getting? Is it reel to reel? Tascam, Fostex? Is it new? I didn't know they still manufactured analog recorders that big (1"). I kinda wish I never parted with my Tascam 424 MKII. I know a lot of people much wiser than me about recording that swear by analog and suggest not recording directly to digital because you don't get the same quality sound/tone. My brother still records to analog, then bounces it over to digital after layering and mixdown, then mixes it again on digital.

He's got a drum set, and my best friend just picked up a new Tama set so when I'm ready I'll lose the drum machine tracks and go live. I think my brother uses AKG mics, too. I only have the Shure, it's all I really need for what I do at home solo...I bounce over to his or my friend's house and have them lay tracks down when I want a 'master' recording completed.

Do you record guitar tracks direct or mic your amp? I've been going direct, but have heard a lot of cool tones from my brother's recordings...he tries all sorts of different stuff, never really records direct anymore. I'm thinking of experimenting with it myself, but would have to invest in some decent mics, the Shure I have is more for vocals and general recording, not sure if it will do the trick.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2008
  10. Bass

Bass Well-Known Member

The 1" machine is an older Tascam MS16. I started out with a Tascam Porta studio in the late 80's and moved up to the rackmount tascam 4 track in early 1990. I got out of it for a while and then about 2000 or 2001 I picked up a digi001.

I have used a combination of going direct and micing guitar amps. I like to use mics more than going direct.

If you have some decent preamps, there is nothing wrong with doing an all digital recording. It also helps to have good quality Analog to digital converters.