1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.
  3. You are currently browsing an area which has guest posting enabled. Please be aware that any contributions as a guest will be moderated before public display.

Apple Pie and whiped cream

Discussion in 'Foods, Drinks, & Cooking' started by Afronaught, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Afronaught

Afronaught ♫ Official Princess ♫

Something sweet... and to quote Carl Sagan... "If you wish to create an Apple Pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"

so here's the answer to the Universe and Apple Pie:

• 6 medium apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
    • 1 tablespoon heavy cream
    • ¼ cup raisins
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • ½ cup brown sugar, packed
    • 1 ½ tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
    • Pie Pastry (see recipe)
    • 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
    • Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for topping
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Place the apples in a large mixing bowl, add the cream, and toss to coat the apples evenly. Add the raisins, vanilla, and the brown sugar and toss well. Scatter the butter pieces over all.

3. Roll out half of the pie pastry on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the rolled pastry. Fill the pastry with apple mixture.

4. Roll out the second half of the pastry to make a rough circle slightly larger than the pie plate and carefully place it over the apples, trimming any excess dough with scissors. Pinch the edges together to seal, then flute the edges as desired. (The pastry scraps can be rerolled and cut into shapes to use for decorating the top of the pie.) Using a sharp knife, make four 1-inch slits in the top crust for steam to escape. Brush the top with the egg mixture.

5. Bake the pie until the top is golden, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool slightly on a wire rack before serving with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Pie Pastry
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 cup whole wheat flour
    • 2 tablespoons sugar
    • ½ pound butter, frozen, cut into slices
    • ¾ cup water
    1. In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine the flours and sugar. Pulse to combine.

2. With the machine running, add the butter slices one at a time. With the machine still running, add the water, 1 tablespoon a time, until the dough forms a ball. Remove and divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. Pat each piece of dough into a disk, wrap well with plastic, and chill for at least 30 minutes. (If dough is very cold, let warm slightly before rolling.)

2. Private_Ale

Private_Ale King Neckbeard

Oh yes, i've had this before.
    fantastic! :drink_up:

3. Hails

Hails Well-Known Member

Yum, damn wish dinner would hurry up and cook

4. Hails

Hails Well-Known Member

Im not a sweet eater but had me kids here served them Beef goulash for dinner and now i got Apple pie in the oven ready to serve with ice cream and custard :D

5. Afronaught

Wow that was fast hehe,

I'm actualy contemplating baking one this evening... as I said I love baking and it's Either apple pie or my special cheese scones.... but the apple pie is winning at the moment...

6. Butterz

Butterz Well-Known Member

I've never made an apple pie before, but it's one of my favorites...I think I'm going to give this a shot this week.

Anyone like quiche? lol

7. Afronaught

I love Quiche... especially with spinnach and cheese filling