1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.
  3. You are currently browsing an area which has guest posting enabled. Please be aware that any contributions as a guest will be moderated before public display.

Quiche

Discussion in 'Foods, Drinks, & Cooking' started by Butterz, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Butterz

Butterz Well-Known Member

This is SUPER easy and really good. There's several variations, so I'll try to list them separately.

One thing, I'm a cheater and use the store bought pie crusts...you don't have to, by any means, I just find it easier because I'm usually cooking up a ton of other stuff when I make quiche and not a 'purist'...lol

Ingredients:
    (Shrimp and Spinach Quiche)
    1/2 lb. deveined and shelled shrimp
    2 cups ripped/torn fresh shrimp
    1 clove garlic, chopped (more or less to taste)

(Quiche Lorraine)
    1/2 lb. ham, diced
    1 Medium onion, diced

(Bacon & Broccoli)
    1/2 lb. cooked bacon, crumbled
    2 cups broccoli florets, torn

General Mixture:
    3 Large Eggs
    1 Cup whole milk
    1 1/2 Cups cheddar cheese (finely shredded)
    1 tbsp flour
    Salt and Pepper to taste (optional)
    1 Frozen Deep Dish Pie Crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk/beat eggs and milk in bowl. Add flour to cheese, mix, then add to bowl with eggs and milk (leave a small amount of cheese off to side to garnish top of quiche). Pour contents into deep dish pie shell. Add toppings of chosen quiche style to pie crust, gently mix throughout.

Place quiche into oven for approximately 1 hour. Quiche is ready to be removed when it has a nice golden brown appearance to crust and top of quiche is solid and golden brown.

(I make 3 quiche at a time, so cooking times may vary as a result if you make less...keep an eye on the pie!)

Allow to sit for ten minutes to 'set' (quiche will actually continue to cook in this manner).

Slice, serve and enjoy!

NOTE: This is 'my' recipe, derived from other recipes...feel free to add more/less depending on your specific tastes/preferences. I've made quiche several different ways and none of them are 'wrong'...I just prefer this method.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008
    Hails and Afronaught like this.
  2. Afronaught

Afronaught ♫ Official Princess ♫

Oh you have so read my mind....

Thanks for posting this... I'm gonna try it out tonight... I might add some grated Mozarella cheese to it though not mutch though

3. Butterz

that's the great thing about quiche...as long as you have pie crust, eggs, milk and some sort of cheese, you can do it ANY way you want.

Just use this as a basic guideline and change it to suit your preference. :)

The shrimp and spinach quiche is AWESOME!

I go heavy on the meat and cheese, also...you don't have to use as much as I specify here, again, it's all to preference.

4. Afronaught

I've been craving quiche for some time now, they dont sell it here... I guess the locals are'nt into it... and I havent found a decent recepe for it until now... I'll probably make my own pie crust for it as I love a flakey style crust with the quiche...

and the Shrimp and Spinach one looks absolutly devine...

5. Butterz

Yeah, have fun...it's so easy to make...and you'll know as you go along whether you want more or less than what I suggested. (BTW, I use cooked shrimp...if you're going with raw, I'd suggest pan frying it before adding it to the pie for baking...there will be shrinkage, so if you like big bites of shrimp, be sure to buy the big boys!)

Just be sure to keep an eye on it your first time making it. I've used different ovens and had different results. They've taken as long as an hour and half and others that were only 45 minutes...I've only burnt one once, but that's because I always check on it every 20 minutes or so since that happened to me once.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008
  6. footballbat

footballbat Domine, dirige nos

7. Afronaught

Yeah I'll fry the shrimp beforehand...

I'm going to use fresh water shrimp for the dish... just to add a slight sweetness to the dish... I'll probably slice them before putting into the mixture so it's easier for serving...

I'm the same I usualy check my bake every 15 minutes... and so far I've never burnt something I'be baked ...