1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.

I'm calling out my Grass

Discussion in 'Social Issues' started by Ace1875, May 16, 2007.

1. Ace1875

Ace1875 Well-Known Member

I hate mowing you every week. It get hot still you grow, it gets cold you still grow!!!

WTF!! is wrong with you?!?!?!

:mad: :mad: :-\

2. Green Tea

Green Tea Tequila Mockinbird

lmao.
    ur lucky you got grass, im gonna have to plant new seed this summer.
    (OMG the birds, the idiot birds! ate all my seed last time! lol)

what do you use Ace, a regular mower or a ride-on mower?

3. Ace1875

LMAO if i use a push mower i will be done by friday

no i have a riding mower and we have 4 acres of grass land.

4. Green Tea

damn man 4 acres :eek:

i got like 50x100 feet! :p ;D

5. Ace1875

yeah down south we have too much land.

6. Green Tea

how is the south?
    temperature decent?

over here, it wont make up its mind!
    yesterday i was in long sleve shirt, today i had the AC on full blast ;D

7. Ace1875

Nah it settled from that BS weather. now its straight HEAT from here. mostly hi to mid 80s

FUCK THE GRASS

Well confusing weather do have its effects
    [​IMG]

8. travelman

travelman Well-Known Member

well, one way of tackling the grass problem is gettin goats. They eat anything!
    and as a side decoration u can get a mini-trailer and gnomes and ......
    oh well, i guess riding a mower while listening to some G&R isnt that bad either.

9. Ace1875

well I did have goats that didn't work out.........well ahem............... I was in the dog house for sometime and the old lady wouldn't cook anything so i got hungry :-\ :-X

Gnomes didn't work cause that became the neighborhood dog........well you can understand what the dogs were doing to it.... ::)

My trusty iPod is always there to rescue me from boredom. Just wish i can add AC to the riding mower. :D

10. Dennis

Dennis R.I.P.

Try putting a light layer of straw over your seeded areas.
    The straw will help hold moisture
    and the birds will have to work harder to steal your seeds.

11. Laughing Man

Laughing Man садистский делирий

i like kentucky blue grass :)

12. SurfSarge

SurfSarge misfit

Me too mine is lookn pretty good from the seed I planted last year!

13. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

I dunno where you are/what climate you're in....but I am a lawn/garden sales rep.

I sell mowers, patio stuffs and lawn maintenance stuff for a major home renovation chain in Canada. (Not Depot or Lowe's)

Here is my advice:

Over seed the lawn with what is called "Patch Grass" (that is the CIL brand name, competitors have different names) . It is essentially grass seed, mulch and fertilizer all mixed in. Water, and grass should be poking up in 5-7 days. The mulch holds in the moisture in this case, and provides nutrients to the grass. I believe most are (although different regions will differ) 1-3-1 .
    When you have to do the first cut, cut it and then layer it with a grass seed of choice, whether it be Sun or shade mix or what have you. The initial grass that grows is a Rye grass, so it will go away when you put Kentucky Blue Grass or another species on it. Use fertilizer, but not a weed and feed. The weed control will hurt the new grass before it is strong. Once you have to cut it again, the new grass should be good and you should have a new good looking lawn.

One thing to consider is mulching vs. bagging/raking. Mulching will help fertilize the lawn. Presumably with a 50 foot lot, it is a subdivision and is a sodded lot, so you could use the extra help.

Don't use a hand held spreader. Use a wheeled one. It'll help you put it where you need it.

Oh. And every week isn't that bad. My dad does his every other night. Looks like a frigging golf course.

Fertilizer goes 10-20-5 The higher these numbers the stronger the effect. 10=up growth, 20=root growth and 5-strength. Up, down, all around. Easy as pie.

14. Dennis

Dennis R.I.P.

What would you recommend
    to getting rid of Creeping Johnny in my lawn?
    Its a little vine like plant with blue flowers.
    This stuff invades and takes over your lawn.
    I've used weed and feed, which only slows it down.
    The only way I've found to get rid of it is to have a company called
    Chem Green come in and spray the lawn.
    But they have to do it 3 to 4 times in a season.
    O'yeah I'm in east central Illinois.

15. Green Tea

awesomes
    ill have to get some straw.. (have to go to pennsy)

16. Green Tea

nice.
    ill try that too O0 8)
    BTW, i live in Jersey :D

17. Clouds In The Sky

Clouds In The Sky Well-Known Member

It snowed here yesterday, therefore I am not quite worried about grass just yet :D

18. SurfSarge

SurfSarge misfit

Snow? whats that?

19. scx1984

scx1984 Lurker

I took a look for Creeping Johnny, it's something we don't get (or don't seem to have many issues with) in Ontario. Either way, I never heard of it. Unless it's Creeping St. John's Wart, which is on endangered lists continent wide (which I think has a yellow flower) or Creeping Thyme, which is common but I think flowers purple (picture attached). So, I dunno. But essentially all plants have a certain weakness, and I imagine as Chem Green has to come, there may not be a consumer-grade product out there to help you.

Problem is, and I speak only for the area I'm in, as specific laws change region to region, that lawn and garden chemicals are restricted to whom can buy them, whom can apply them, where and when. Here we actually have a licensing system in place by the OFA (Ontario Federation of Agriculture) and the Ministry of the Environment. I imagine Illinois has a similar program in effect-only certain people are allowed to access these controlled chemicals.

The reasons for this are simple. Firstly, most if not all control chemicals (pest, weed or otherwise) have an adverse affect on waterways, other plant life and animals. This may, depending on many factors, cause problems for the ecosystem and such. Secondly, most if not all chemicals can be utilized to produce bio-weaponry and bombs. So, they record who buys it from who and for what purpose.

That being said, a healthy lawn is essentially the most potent of weeds. If the lawn has strong rooting, and great growth and strength performance it should "weed out" the weeds. (Pun intended). If Chem Green comes once, they want to come again. You're business to them and want to come back. But if they fix all your problems for good, they may not get the repeated business out of you to begin with.

Weed Man comes to a neighbour's house every year to spray the dandelions. I have no idea what they pay, but it is a 3/4 acre lot, so it would be pricey. But some Weed-Out (or Killex) and some good lawn fertilizer like I described above, and they would be under control within 1-2 weeks of the first growth. I do not have a single dandelion on the lawn, and haven't since the first year I lived here. I get the odd one, near the fence line, but other then that, not much on the weed front. I have nearly 6 acres of lawn that I maintain to these standards, and it's all Turf Type Tall Fescue, (bluegrass is hard to maintain under our weather conditions). I mow twice a week, shorter (2-3 inches) until mid-July or so (depending on rain fall) and then I leave it to once a week, and I leave about four inches.

I rarely get a brown or yellow spot (except when the neighbour's dog makes Mr. Friendly on my lawn or I move the boat that never actually moves) and I only apply a liquid mix fertilzer and spray (commercial grade....shhhh) maybe twice a year. I dethatch and aerate the lawn also maybe twice.

Test your lawn for strength and then diagnose it.

1-Get down on your knees and grab a spot in the middle of the lot, away from gardens, driveway, trees, walking path, etc. Hold the grass, as tight as you can between your fingers and get good and low. Grab a bunch, the more the better, and make sure your knuckles are right into the ground. Pull, gently at first and gradually applying about enough force to open, say, a door. If you have fist-fulls of grass and it's not attached to the ground anymore, you have poor roots, thus a very weak lawn. Repeat this step near the driveway, trees, gardens, etc, so you can see the overall picture. This simply means one or two problems: Poor root growth=fertilize and maintain or grubs. Grubs can be a pain to rid of, and your neighbours will not like it cause they will get them after you.

2-To see if it's grubs, find a spot in the weak area that you don't mind pulling up the lawn a bit. Spade the lawn in such a fashion you can see the soil underneath. If there a little yellowy ugly things crawling all over, it's grubs. Worms are good, though, to extent. If you have grubs, there is a fix. It's called Grub-Out (brand name) and it works wonders. You can get easy to apply garden hose ones, too. Essentially, look for the word "Sevin" on the container. It is the ingredient (and brand name) of the chemical that will piss off anything ugly, crawly and yellow. Follow the directions (to the T) and rebuild.

By building a healthier lawn you are effectively making it less prone to weeds and other invaders.

If it's creeping thyme, then I really don't know. Most people want to keep this kinda plant...

[attachment expired]