1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. BeerCandle is a private community You may need to register to view the content of some threads.
  3. You are currently browsing an area which has guest posting enabled. Please be aware that any contributions as a guest will be moderated before public display.

Man eats corgi in royal protest

Discussion in 'News & Events' started by Hails, May 30, 2007.

1. Hails

Hails Well-Known Member

A PERFORMANCE artist ate what he claimed to be a corgi live on radio tonight, in protest at the Royal Family and its alleged treatment of animals.

Mark McGowan, who once ate a swan in a performance art show, said the cooked canine - the Queen's favourite breed of dog - tasted "really, really, really disgusting".

According to the artist, Yoko Ono, who featured on the same radio program, "looked a bit strange" as she also tasted the dog.

The corgi, which died at a breeding farm, was minced with apple, onion and seasoning for the artist's consumption on the Bob and Roberta Smith radio program, broadcast on London-based arts station 104.4 Resonance FM.

Before the show, the vegetarian and animal rights activist explained his motives for the protest.

"I know some people will find this offensive and tasteless but I am doing this to raise awareness about the RSPCA's inability to prosecute Prince Philip and his friends shooting a fox earlier this year, letting it struggle for life for five minutes and then beating it to death with a stick," he said.

As McGowan, 37, ate the dog, he said: "It's disgusting. It's really, really really disgusting."

He added: "It's all wrong – it's really, really wrong. The protest, what Prince Philip done – it's all wrong."

The radio show's presenter, Bob Smith, said: "I'm not convinced it's corgi." But McGowan insisted that he trusted the the two women who cooked the dog.

He said: "It's stinky, it's white-looking, it's not like any meat I've ever seen."

The RSPCA said in a statement it had investigated the alleged incident involving Philip at the Queen's Sandringham estate in January and "found no evidence that an offence of causing unnecessary suffering had taken place".

It added: "An independent post-mortem examination was carried out and found that the fox died from gunshot wounds – and no evidence of other injury or trauma was found.

"The only witness who could have supported the version of events reported in some sections of the media refused to give a statement."

McGowan said after the show that his protest had been "very provocative, intentionally".

"To me it was, as an art piece, exhilarating," he added.

Poorva Joshipura, director of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals' European arm, said: "The idea of eating a corgi will make many people lose their lunch, but certainly foxes who are hunted for so-called entertainment, are no less capable of feeling fear and pain.

"Most of the British public will agree that it is high time the royals joined the rest of us who live in the 21st century and are opposed to cruelty to animals."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21819082-5001021,00.html

2. Dennis

Dennis R.I.P.

PETA

People for the
    Eating of
    Tasty
    Animals